Story of SURM
The classes were led by a renowned teacher; Kiyai Zuhri Mutammim (1905-1985) at his mother-in-law’s place at 47 Radin Mas.
Quran recitation and fardhu ain classes that were specially catered for children were held at the Radin Mas Surau situated infront of Kiyai Zuhri’s in laws house. The surau is built upon a plot of land which was donated by his father-in-law Haji Abdul Halim Bin Karto.
As the number of students at the surau increased, Haji Sujai Bin Haji Mansur realized the need to build a school to conduct the religious classes. He suggested that idea to the leaders of Radin Mas Kampung, namely, Haji Abu Bakar Haji Abdul Halim, Ahmad Jabri, an UMNO figure at that time, Said bin Ali and Mohd Salleh Kechut. Upon Kiyai Zuhri’s agreement, SURM was built under the leadership of Haji Sujai and the other leaders.
In 1968, Radin Mas surau was proposed to become a mosque. With the larger space, more students were able to attend the classes in SURM. The year 2001 saw Radin Mas mosque gave way to the developments of the country, resulting in SURM to be shifted to Al-Amin mosque, situated only 2km away from the old Radin Mas mosque before moving to Ar-Rabitah mosque.
In 2009, SURM initiated the first full-time Tahfiz school in Singapore located in Darul Aman mosque, and later on expanded further by running a part-time weekend madrasah in 2011 located at Joo Chiat. After a decade of operating at Darul Aman mosque, SURM moved and is currently operating at Kembangan Court.
It is estimated that about 10,000 students have participated the religious classes in SURM since it was first established. Up till now, SURM is the only Full Time Tahfiz School in Singapore (SURM) registered with Ministry of Education, Singapore since 1956.
“Give charity without delay, for it stands in the way of calamity.”
5 Jalan Masjid #01-09
8.00am to 4.00pm